How to make your own Cosmetic Products at home
Doesn’t matter if we buy those expensive branded cosmetics and beauty products or an average good to go product which is according to our need but at the end of the day, do you doubt about what I am using is just temporarily effecting but later on it might cause some damages to our skin? No matter what, A lot of question arises in our mind about the product and what sort of ingredients or chemicals it might consist.
We always give a thought of making our own cosmetic and beauty products at home with using all the natural ingredients, but we got lazy because either we don’t know the process or recipe of making a handmade product or we are not aware of the benefits of using our own handmade products using all the natural ingredients, and it’s not a rocket science to make any kind of beauty product at home for specific purposes, though it is very easy and also comforting that you know what you’re using on yourself.
Benefits of DIY Cosmetic and Beauty products at home
The biggest advantage of doing your own self-made products at home, as we mentioned above is the comfort and believe in what we are using, we are aware of our self-made product and ingredients.
We don’t need to add any chemicals for achieving certain colors, fragrance, consistency or to have a long shelf-life of several years. You can just add what is beneficial for you according to your skin.
This can include many different botanic ingredients, such as concentrated herbal extracts, precious plant oils and plant distillates, sugar, vitamin, proteins, and natural essential oil.
The major benefit of making your own cosmetics at home is, we save our self a huge amount of money and also it allows us to be creative. We achieve healthier and more radiant skin from day one. Our skin becomes more balanced, with no breakouts, no blemishes, we give our skin what it needs.
You can start your own little business when you know you have developed the skill of making your own natural products at home for specific purposes, then you can create your own range of products. Doing your own product is a mindfulness practice and it is also a healthy exercise we should try doing.
On top of all these benefits of doing your own product at home is you improve as a person by getting close to nature, Also It builds self-confidence when you witness that your own product is effective you nicely, also good for your mind and spirit as many essential oils are beneficial to reduce anxiety, stress and relieve depression.
Most popular ingredients we already have at our home
Most of the ingredients are probably available at our home, in our kitchen or in our garden. Most popular ingredients which are majorly used in making your own products at home are,
- Coconut Oil, We all are aware of the countless benefits of using coconut oil for skin and for hair, and the main reason for including coconut oil in almost every homemade product that coconut is the best and natural exfoliator, cleanser, and moisturizer.
- Cocoa Butter, for those who love to add the aroma of chocolate in their products, Cocoa butter is best for them, we can use cocoa butter in making home-made lotion or face cream.
- Shea butter, the most used natural beauty product after coconut oil is definitely shea butter, has a strong naturally nutty, earthy smell and is incredibly nourishing for the skin. It has natural antibacterial properties and great for preventing stretch marks, wound healing, and anti-aging treatment for the skin. Great replacement for face cream, baby lotion and can be used in many other recipes
- Milk, not just drinking milk have benefits but also using it in skin care recipes is also very effective as milk contains lactic acid which helps in reducing pigmentation, heal dry skin, hydrate skin also heals acne and relieve sunburn. You can use milk in making face masks and scrubs.
- Lemon, lemons are the rich source in providing Vitamin C and citric acid, Lemons are widely used in making skincare recipes at home as it is best to lighten up skin your skin, kills bacteria, Natural cleanser, Also helps in removing blackheads and etc.
- Strawberries, One of the tastiest sweet and sour fruit is strawberry, which is loved by all because of the taste, smell and texture but strawberry is also used in a lot of skincare products such as face mask, scrub and face wash because it is effective in removing excess oil from your skin and makes it soft and glowing.
Some other helpful and effective ingredients that mostly we have in our homes are dried herbs, mint leaves, baking soda, salt and etc.
Some natural beauty products we can make at home
Making DIY natural home-made beauty and cosmetic products may sound something like you have to be in a chemistry lab and mixing all the ingredients in with the right amount, it’s is not even near to this.
Making your own recipes at home for the required beauty product is actually very easy to do, Such as DIY facial care, DIY makeup, DIY body care, and a lot more DIY recipes.
Sugar, Lemon, Honey, and Coconut Oil DIY face scrub.
Combing these ingredients results in a blaster of benefits in order to DIY face scrub and it is very easy to make by just combining these 4 ingredients all together in a bowl. If you do not have coconut oil, you can use olive oil or any essential oil.
To prepare it for one person,
- Put 2-3 tablespoon of Coconut oil in the bowl
- A tablespoon of lemon juice
- One and a half tablespoon of honey
- And lastly, add one tablespoon of sugar
Give it a good stir until you achieve the right consistency, not too thin not too thick.
How to apply,
Start by washing your face with lukewarm water, then start massaging your face with DIY facial scrub in the circular movements for 2 to 3 minutes and then wash it off with cold water.
DIY Non-Toxic Lipstick Using Crayons
You can make your own DIY non-toxic lipstick by using crayons, which means you have a variety of colors to make your lipstick and it’s very easy to make one.
Things you need:
- Any essential oil
Melt a crayon of your favorite color in a pan, add a tablespoon of Vaseline and any essential oil. Wait until melt completely, give it a stir. Fill up your empty lipstick and let it dry. Lipstick is ready to use now.
DIY Essential Hand Cream
An excellent DIY cream you can make for your hands in order to keep it soft.
Ingredients you need:
- ¼ cup of shea butter
- 1/8 cup of sweet almond oil
- 1 tablespoon of beeswax
- 20-30 drops of essential oils
Carefully melt the first 3 ingredients in a double boiler on the stove, then add 20-30 drops of essential oil and stir it for a little while. Fill an empty jar with the mixture and let it cool. Your DIY Essential hand cream is ready for use.
DIY Hair spray for personal care
DIY Hair spray can be a life-changing experience for our hairs, As hairs are the most attractive feature in humans.
Ingredients you need:
- Lemon, as lemon is the best source to cleanse your scalp and it will make our hair shine.
How to make a natural hair spray:
Cut lemons into slices and put it in the water as per the desired quantity, bring the water at boiling point, then turn the heat off and let it cool. Strain the water into a spray bottle and finally add a tablespoon of salt.
Recipe for making own cosmetics
Home-made DIY foundation
Things you need for a DIY foundation:
- .5oz Cocoa Butter
- 5oz Almond oil
- 1oz Shea Butter
- .5oz Beeswax
- 1/8 Vitamin E
- .5oz Zinc Oxide
- Cocoa powder
- Cinnamon Powder
How to make it:
- Using your scale and the tare function, Measure and combine the first five ingredients into the bowl.
- Completely melt the first five ingredients, stirring occasionally with your whisk.
- Remove from heat and allow time to cool a bit.
- Place your bowl again on the scale, hit tare, add a spoonful of zinc oxide until you get to .5oz. This gives you approximately a 10 SPF coverage. Whisk to completely combine.
- Add 1/8t cinnamon; Stir to combine.
- Add cocoa powder a little at a time and whisk to get the color you need.
- Pour into your selected container and allow it to cool.
DIY Baking Soda Toothpaste
Things you need for DIY Baking Soda Toothpaste:
- About ½ cup coconut oil (extra virgin coconut oil)
- 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda
- 2 small packets of stevia powder
- 15-20 drops of peppermint or cinnamon essential oil
- 10 drops myrrh extract (optional)
How to make it:
- Melt or soften coconut oil.
- Mix in the other ingredients and stir well by using a spoon. You will need to stir several times while the mixture cools to keep the baking soda incorporated.
- Put mixture into a small glass jar (make different ones for each family member)
- Let cool completely.
- To use: dip the toothbrush in and scrape small amount onto bristles.
Disadvantages of using popular cosmetic brands available in the market
Mainly it occurs when the chemicals in the cosmetics and makeup do not suit the skin and affect them badly by damaging the cells of the skin.
Skin infection is one of the largest skin issues where a person has to suffer from irritation and allergies which is very irritating and painful. If you are suffering from a skin infection, then you may have red marks all over the skin, which causes, even more, irritation when you went outside the house and the body is exposed to sun and pollution.
Damage to internal organs
Most people have a misconception that makeup and cosmetics are applied on the upper layer of skin and if any side effect is caused then only the top layer of the skin is affected. But, you should not forget that there are uncountable pores are present on the skin, which helps the skin to respire and excrete waste from the body in the form of sweat.
The chemicals present in these products seep into the bloodstream from these pores and attacks the internal organs slowly but it can be deadly because it may completely damage the organ.
Acne and Pimples
A nightmare to every person, especially for youth, If the skin of a person does not have enough capacity to retain the attack of the chemicals on the skin, then the symptoms can be easily noticed on the skin in the form of skin problems including acne and pimples. Research shows that 30% of patients with acne and pimples are infected due to the heavy utilization of chemical loaded skin products.
Why should I spend my time making beauty products at home?
- With the everyday growing awareness about all the harms of using products that are just effective temporarily, people are getting more interested in making their products at home, using all the natural ingredients such as with the growing availability of herbal ingredients. Consumers are now able to take control of quality and safety.
- According to the research, only 11 percent of the cosmetic ingredients have been tested for the purpose of safety by the cosmetic industry. Isn’t that so scary? This is why it’s hard to trust profit-driven cosmetic industries.
- Saves a huge amount of money if you start making your own products at home.
- Making your own products at home can be given as a gift and even using them is a more personal and practical way to live a more sustainable life.
- Making your own products using natural products is the best way to free yourself from toxins and harmful substances available in branded products.
- It allows you to be creative with all the natural ingredients like fruits, plants and much more, Also a healthy exercise which builds self-confidence in a person.
Hello everyone, I am the main writer for SIND. I’ve been writing articles for more than 10 years and I like sharing my knowledge. I’m currently writing for many websites and newspaper. Most of our medical sources come from Canada.ca and government research. You can contact me on our forum or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.